The World League for Protection of Animals Inc (WLPA) is an Australian campaign and rescue organisation which has been fighting for the rights and well being of animals, both native and non-native, since 1935. WLPA was registered under the Charitable Collections Act, NSW 1934 on 14 May 1937. We are self-funded as we receive no government subsidies or grants. We aim to use our funds for the benefit of the animal causes we champion and keep our core staff to a minimum. WLPA relies on the support of compassionate and generous volunteers for hands on rescue work.
WLPA is funded solely by membership fees and the generosity of our supporters.
WLPA runs a 'no-kill' animal rescue program. Unlike other major animal welfare organisations, we have a network of volunteers who assist the community in trapping and rescuing abandoned companion animals as part of our Cat Compassion Community Circle initiative. When you support us by donating money or goods, you will be directly supporting animals in need.
Many animals now and in the future rely on our work. Please help us to help them.
Our mission is to actively promote the rights and well-being of animals through legislation, humane education and hands-on rescue work. Our 'no kill' rescue program for companion animals aims to rescue, desex and rehome hundreds of abandoned kittens, cats and dogs each year.
We used to manage a Kangaroo Sanctuary in Sydney until very recently where live-in caretakers rescue orphaned kangaroo joeys. Once raised, these little ones are released to freedom in safe areas of New South Wales. This good work continues but no longer needs the auspice of WLPA. Kangaroo lovers can contact Kangaroo Protection Cooperative to volunteer at the sanctuary near Dural.
Currently, WLPA campaigns on the gross cruelty done to wild dogs through 1080 poisons. Mostly however, during 2014, our native animal campaign work has entered a research and development phase so that a planned approach to new priorities can be realised as soon as possible and so work can be costed and implemented effectively.
We actively campaign to:
- Stop the commercialisation of our native wildlife, with present emphasis on the Kangaroo
- Ban the use of 1080 poison
- Ban the use of the steel jaw traps in Australia (we succeeded in having this banned in NSW and ACT in 1997)
- Ban recreational hunting of all animals in NSW state forests and National Parks
- Implement a no-kill policy in pounds and shelters to stop the killing of thousands of healthy cats and dogs every year
- Lobby NSW councils to provide low cost desexing programs for low income carers
- Abolish the farming of the Asiatic ‘Moon’ bears in China cruelly milked for their bile
- Abolish vivisection and the fur industry
- Ban circuses with animals
- Protect Australia's dingo by lobbying our government to recognise and protect it as a vulnerable species
Australian Charity Fundraising Number (CFN): 12896
All donations over $2 are tax deductible